The newly expanded, 16,000-square-foot Ridgway Memorial Library was dedicated on February 11th, 2007.
In 2006, construction began on the Ridgway Memorial Library addition/renovation project. The cost of the building and furnishings was approximately $2.1 million. The library operated out a temporary facility off Cedar Grove Rd.
Construction began in 2002 on a new Mt. Washington Branch Library, located on Snapp Street about a block from its former location. The grand opening for the new 6,000-square-foot building was held on September 29th.
In 1997, the Library website at www.bcplib.org was launched!
In March, the Ridgway Memorial Library was once again threatened by flood waters when the Salt river reached within 2.5 feet of the building.
In 1995, the Library began using a computer system to check out books and other materials to patrons. In July, public internet access was introduced at BCPL.
The paper-based card catalogue was closed and the Library’s computer-based PAC (Public Access Catalogue) system became fully operational.
In 1989, Ridgway Memorial Library underwent renovation.
Mt. Washington Branch Library moved to a small 2,400-square-foot post office building in 1988.
In April 1984, the North Bullitt Library in Hillview was renamed the Dorothea Stottman Library.
By 1983, the Library was in the red for the first time since the North Bullitt dedication. The Lebanon Junction Branch Library building was expanded, and Mt. Washington got additional shelving.
By 1981, a Friends of the Library group was organized. Mt. Washington Branch Library was moved again.
On January 31, 1979, House Bill 44 passed and taxes were held up six months. For the first time, the Library had to borrow money to continue.
The North Bullitt Branch Library in Hillview, which cost $195,400, was dedicated on Sunday, March 13th, 1977.
In 1976, the Lebanon Junction Branch Library was moved out of the bookmobile to City Hall. The district received a $100,000 grant for North Bullitt Library.
The Mt. Washington Branch Library was relocated in 1975 to the City Hall building.
The new Ridgway Memorial Library on N. Walnut Street was dedicated on January 21st, 1973.
In 1971, the library board approved construction of a new 8,000-square-foot facility in Shepherdsville. The Library Services Construction Act funded 62% of the project.
Following a successful petition drive in 1967, Bullitt County Fiscal Court established the library taxing district under KRS 173.720. The Lebanon Junction Branch Library was opened as a bookmobile.
In 1964, flood waters invaded the Ridgway home and everything had to be moved.
In 1963, Dr. and Mrs. Sam Ridgway donated a home to be used as the Ridgway Memorial Library. Contributions from the Bullitt County Women’s club and donations raised by a citizen’s group headed by Billy Horrell funded the library project. After spending $3,000 on renovations, the building was dedicated on July 21.
In 1960, a Friends group was organized. Mount Washington Branch Library was opened by volunteers.
In 1961, the Shepherdsville library moved to a small building behind Pike Law Office. There were two floods, one of which forced the books to be moved to Roby Elementary. In April, the library was declared illegal. The Bullitt County Fiscal Court legally established the library under KRS 173.310 and contributed $42,000.
In 1957, the Bullitt County Fiscal Court and the Board of Education each designated $500 annually to fund the library.
In 1954, the state of Kentucky began its Bookmobile Program. In Bullitt County, the Homemaker’s Association asked fiscal court members for funds to establish a library. Using state funds and donations, the Bullitt County Library was established. A bookmobile took books to various areas across the county and the First Baptist Church in Shepherdsville donated a room for daily use.
In 1945, the library was closed due to a building program at the church. Books were stored for several years