Library History

The Bullitt County Public Library exists as it does today thanks to the generosity and dedication of its employees and supporters, past and present. Our history is filled with the hard work of community organizers and volunteers, locations in donated spaces, and more than a few flooded buildings. We hope that this story is one that continues forever and that all of our patrons know that the Library offers everyone the chance to explore, learn, and enjoy.

Mt. Washington Dedication Ceremony

9/9/17

Following our soft open of the new Mt. Washington Branch, we threw a celebration and ribbon-cutting ceremony.

View photos»

Mt. Washington Opening Day

8/17/2017

We surprised you and opened with little fanfare at the new Mt. Washington Branch Library, located at 214 N. Bardstown Road.

View pictures»

 

Land Purchased for New Main Library in Shepherdsville

5/25/17

Bullitt County Public Library purchased 5.42 acres near the Lowes in Shepherdsville to build a new main library.

Read more»

 

Land Purchased for New Nichols Branch

March 17, 2017

The Library purchased four residential properties in Nichols, Kentucky, to combine into a 1.3 acre parcel for the site of a new library branch.

Read more »

Mt. Washington Branch Breaks Ground

December 4th, 2015

After multiple delays to the project, a groundbreaking ceremony for the Mt. Washington Branch Library was held.

View photos and learn more »

Land Cleared

2014

The existing church and parish on the Mt. Washington lot were removed to make way for construction of a 13,000 square foot library.

New Library Director

January 2, 2014

Joe Schweiss took over as BCPL Director.

Read the Library Bulletin welcome »

Introducing Reed the Raccoon!

October 2013

In this month’s issue of The Library Bulletin, we announced a cute, cuddly raccoon as our new Children’s mascot!

See pictures »

Land Purchase for Mt. Washington Branch

2013

Land was purchased for a new Mt. Washington Branch Library across the street from the 2002 building.

Technical Services and Outreach & Programs Moves into New Space

October 2012

BCPL’s Technical Services and Outreach & Programs departments moved into the old Dorothea Stottman Branch Library.

View images »

New Hillview Branch Library

April 15th, 2012

The ribbon cutting ceremony for Hillview Branch Library was held.

View photos »

Construction begins on new Hillview Branch

April 2011

The 10,000-square foot branch was officially underway in this Courier-Journal article.

Read the article »

New Hillview Branch Library Announced to Replace Dorothea Stottman

March 8, 2011

Plans were announced at the board meeting for the brand new Hillview Branch Library.

Read the press release »

New Lebanon Junction Branch Library

July 11th, 2010

The ribbon cutting for the new 7,700-square-foot Lebanon Junction Branch Library facility on South Preston Highway was held.

Nichols Access

May 2010

The Nichols “Easy Access Library” at Nichols Elementary School was put into operation.

New Lebanon Junction Branch Breaks Ground

September 2, 2009

The new Lebanon Junction Branch Library broke ground.

Read article »

Plans for New Lebanon Junction Branch Announced

April 2009

The Library announced plans to build a new facility three times the size of the old.

Read article »

Expanded Ridgway Memorial Dedicated

February 11, 2007

The newly expanded, 16,000-square-foot Ridgway Memorial Library was dedicated.

Ridgway Memorial Renovation

2006

Construction began on the Ridgway Memorial Library addition/renovation project.

Learn more »

Mt. Washington Snapp Street Location Opens

September 29, 2002

The grand opening for the new 6,000-square-foot building was held.

Read more »

bcplib.org

1997

The Library website at www.bcplib.org was launched! Flood waters again threatened Ridgway Memorial.

Learn More »

Public Internet Access

July 1995

The Library began using a computer system to check out materials to patrons, and public internet access was introduced at BCPL.

Computer-based Catalog Introduced

1993

Big changes were introduced to the way the Library handled circulation!

Learn more »

Ridgway Memorial Renovations

1989

Ridgway Memorial Library underwent renovation.

Mt. Washington Relocation

1988

Mt. Washington Branch Library moved to a small 2,400-square-foot post office building.

Lebanon Junction Branch Library Grand Opening

November 8th, 1987

We celebrated the grand opening of the first Lebanon Junction branch library building.

See pictures »

Updates to Mt. Washington Branch, Including a Wheelchair Ramp

April 1st, 1987

Read about Mt. Washington Branch Library in The Pioneer News.

See article »

Hillview Library Renamed Dorothea Stottman

April 1984

The North Bullitt Library in Hillview was renamed the Dorothea Stottman Library.

Expansion

1983

The Library was in the red for the first time since the North Bullitt dedication.

Read more »

Friends of the Library

1981

A Friends of the Library group was organized. Mt. Washington Branch moved again.

House Bill 44

January 31, 1979

House Bill 44 passed and taxes were held up six months.

Read more »

North Bullitt Branch Library

March 13th, 1977

The North Bullitt Branch Library in Hillview was dedicated.

Learn more »

Lebanon Junction Given Physical Building

1976

The Lebanon Junction Branch Library was moved out of the bookmobile to City Hall.

Learn more »

Mt. Washington Relocation to Physical Building

1975

The Mt. Washington Branch Library was relocated to the City Hall building.

Mt. Washington Bookmobile

April 1974

The Mt. Washington Star covers Mt. Washington’s original bookmobile!

Read Article»

New Ridgway Memorial Library Dedicated

January 21st, 1973

The new Ridgway Memorial Library on N. Walnut Street was dedicated.

New Shepherdsville Branch Approved

1971

The library board approved construction of a new 8,000-square-foot facility in Shepherdsville. The Library Services Construction Act funded 62% of the project

Lebanon Junction Bookmobile Established

1967

Following a successful petition drive, Bullitt County Fiscal Court established the library taxing district under KRS 173.720. Lebanon Junction Branch Library was opened as a bookmobile.

Flood at Ridgway

1964

Flood waters invaded the Ridgway home and everything had to be moved.

Ridgway Memorial Library Dedicated

1963

Dr. and Mrs. Sam Ridgway donated a home to be used as the Ridgway Memorial Library.

Learn more »

Library Legally Established

1961

The Shepherdsville library moved to a small building behind Pike Law Office.

Read more »

Mount Washington Branch Library Established

1960

A Friends of the Library group was organized. Mt. Washington branch was opened by volunteers.

Library Funded

1957

The Bullitt County Fiscal Court and the Board of Education each designated $500 annually to fund the library.

The State of Kentucky Establishes Bookmobile Program

1954

The state of Kentucky began its Bookmobile Program.

Read more »

Library Closes & Books Stored

1945

The library was closed due to a building program at the church. Books were stored for several years.

First Public Library Established

January 24, 1924

The Bullitt County Woman’s Club established the first public library in the county.

Learn more »